Saturday, January 15, 2011

An Art Gallery Graduation: Post 1

When did this....


...become this?!?!

High school graduation. *sigh*   The celebration that marks my eldest son leaving the nest.  Simply leaving the nest is not enough for my son.  He feels the need to fly the coop and land in Haiti to stay for the next couple of years.  While I am satisfied that he is doing what God has planned for him there is a little separation anxiety on my side.  So, to cope I am starting the party planning early.  We like a good party and I like to organize (control) stuff. It puts me in my happy place which makes everyone in my life more comfortable.

My son is having a joint graduation party with a friend.   The graduates are both artists and want an art gallery feel to their party with their original art work highlighted.  Both are fairly non-traditional and don't want a lot of graduation thematic elements which opens up the party to a lot of creativity.

There are a few things to keep in mind as I share these plans over the coming months:
  1. We live in a tiny town in rural Iowa.  High school graduation parties are EVENTS and highly attended.
  2. The graduates want a brunch...with a New York art gallery feel....serving humus...in a small town...in rural Iowa. (We did talk them out of humus .)
 The other mom and I got together over the Christmas break and started to make our plan.  Have I mentioned that I LOVE to throw a good party?  (I'll have to blog about the birthday parties we threw when the boys were younger)  Oh, I also have a Lion personality which I work daily or hourly to keep under control...but that's another blog. Fortunately, the other mom is a wonderful person and humors me a lot.  The graduates approved the plan so we are ready to start our collecting of mason jars, wine bottles, and clothes pins....
This is a sneak peak of some of the decorative elements.  Future blog posts will be dedicated to menu, decorations, etc.

1 comment:

  1. Are those pictures on window screens? I have 3 screens (painted red) that we use similarly in our house...you'd be welcome to use them if they'd help.

    ReplyDelete